STUDENT SUPPORT AND INFORMATION
Student membership is free for all medical radiation science students!
Being a member of ASMIRT can be of great advantage to medical radiation science students.
We can help you with:
- Career progression
- Networking opportunities
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Postgraduate and specialist training
- Joining a committee and expanding your skills
- Travel and research scholarships
Watch the video and learn more about your peak body for medical radiation sciences in Australia. Hear all the great benefits membership of the Society brings, and how you can get involved in your profession.
Receive ASMIRT member benefits
Being a member means you can contact ASMIRT and the State Branches for career advice, we also offer these great benefits:
• Access to publications Journal of Medical Radiation Sciences (JMRS) and Spectrum magazine
• Professional networking opportunities to build your professional network and increase your career prospects
• Exclusive access to workshops, seminars, social activities and special events
• Fortnightly e-news highlighting industry trends, developments, employment opportunities and more
• Dedicated student conference and events
• Member registration discounts to events such as ASMIRT’s annual conference
• A range of grants and scholarships available
• Professional Indemnity Insurance coverage during university clinical placements and professional training and practice work outside placements
• Member Advantage – benefits from a wide-range of retailers and organisations providing movie tickets, entertainment, insurance and financial services, accommodation, shopping and dining.
ASMIRT’s Student Ambassadors are here to help support our student members; linking them to their professional body, helping them network with other students and professionals, keeping them engaged with great events and much more. Student members are encouraged to reach out to their state’s Ambassador if they have any questions about ASMIRT, scholarships, events, social media and getting involved in the Student Committee.
ASMIRT Student representatives applications have now closed for 2023. Opportunities for 2024 will open towards the end of 2023.
Become a volunteer ASMIRT Student representative! State Branches nationwide will have Ambassador positions available for 2024, where you can assist your Student Committee by providing ASMIRT student members with representation, programs, events and support.
How to apply:
For 2024 positions, download the Position Description to view the key responsibilities, then email your application form and updated CV to email@example.com.
2023 Student Committee:
- VIC – Vicky Le & Rheann Wickramasinghe (Jan – June) & Emily Liu (June – Dec) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- NSW/ACT/TAS – Peter Hanna – email@example.com
- SA/NT -Hargun Kaur and Carla Ceravolo – firstname.lastname@example.org
- WA – Aleisha Lawson – email@example.com
- QLD – Elizabeth Andersen and Jessica Bentley – firstname.lastname@example.org
ASMIRT JOB CONNECT 2023
Keep an eye out for the next Job Connect Openings.
Job Connect will help connect student members who will be graduating in this calendar year, with employers nationally who are in the marketplace for base grade staff in 2023.
Members are encouraged to be flexible and consider all states and territories as potential workplace locations, and to understand that they consent to their personal email address being distributed to a number of employers who are interested in employing medical radiation science graduates in a particular State or Territory.
While ASMIRT’s Job Connect does not guarantee employment, it will certainly enhance graduate’s job-seeking tools and give them an opportunity to link with employers across the country.
Attend an event
ASMIRT offers great learning opportunities through our nationwide events, where you can earn CPD credits, be a presenter, network and more. Here are just some of the great events you can attend:
- ASMIRT Student Conference
- Specialist careers forums
- Student paper days
- Student quiz nights
- Social events
STUDENT CLINICAL PLACEMENT GUIDE
Student Clinical Placement Guide for Diagnostic Radiography and Medical Imaging Students
Written by three Medical Radiation Science students from NSW this highly informative guide has been designed to provide you with a framework for what clinical placements in diagnostic radiography/ medical imaging are, how to prepare for them and some tips and tricks to managing the clinical placement journey throughout your degree.
It is important to remember that each university will have its own unique sources of information for students going on placement and this guide does not replace that. It has been designed to complement that information from the student perspective.
DOWNLOAD STUDENT CLINICAL PLACEMENT GUIDE
Please note: A similar guide for Radiation Therapy students is under development and will be available in October.
|All ASMIRT Student Members in their final year who continue on by taking out a full ASMIRT membership after graduating, receive their first six months at no cost! That means you can ease yourself into work and full membership will all the benefits. All recent graduates who are not yet members and wish to join ASMIRT will have their entrance fee waived – what a great offer, save $200 and join now!|
JOIN YOUR STATE BRANCH COMMITTEE
For student members who have graduated, why not engage with your local state branch committee? Join for
- Best networking and leadership opportunities
- Chance to become Involved in a range of state-lead events
Email your Student State Branch Chair to get involved – click here for their contact details.
Applying for a job
ASMIRT provides support to job seekers within the industry, for handy tips and ways to help you apply for job or internship, or needing further assistance in preparing for your interview, please contact us at email@example.com to be emailed the ASMIRT Career Resources sheets.
ASMIRT will announce any new job positions on our Jobs page and aims to help new radiography and radiation therapy graduates find supervised practice program (SPP) positions.
If you are an employer and wish to post your a job vacancy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Points to consider when applying for jobs:
- Writing a resume/curriculum vitae
- Writing an effective cover letter
- Preparing for your job interview
- Social media and work
- Working and living in Australia
Ahpra Graduation Documents
Student members, we urge you to ensure you fill out your Ahpra applications accurately, and that any documentation supplied to Ahpra with your application is certified according to the Ahpra requirements. Please down these documents to assist you:
Ahpra Graduate-applications Quick-guide-to-registration
Ahpra Graduate-applications avoid-delays-flyer
Ahpra Graduate-applications criminal-history
Ahpra Information-Sheet Certifying-documents
2022 registration update
Visit the Graduate applications page on the Ahpra website for the updated information flyers to help graduates avoid common causes of delay, or download here: Ahpra Graduate registration
Watch the useful video on how to apply here
If you have any questions, please direct them to the PRG Secretariat in the first instance.
Keep up with everything ASMIRT, follow us on @ASMIRTorg