Services to Members & the Community
- Is involved at Government level on Boards, Committees representing Radiographers on Rural Health, Casemix, Professional Indemnity Insurance, Mammography, Imaging Services, Medicare, Mutual Recognition, Priority Occupations listings, Overseas trained Radiographers Assessment, Professional Practice Standards, Bridging Programmes, Mutual Recognition, Favoured Nation/Course, Overseas Aid and a number of other areas thus ensuring Professional protection to Radiographers, Radiation Therapists and Sonographers in Australia.
- Has representatives heavily involved in all areas of education, with an increasing role in G.P. and operator training for rural and remote areas.
- Through its representatives is gradually increasing involvement in the issue of Registration and licences throughout Australia through efforts centred on Mutual Recognition. State & Territory Health Ministers have agreed to AIR recommendations that "Radiographers shall be regulated in all Jurisdictions" and State regulations are to be formulated in those areas which currently do not regulate Radiographers. This will be on the basis of proof of holding a "Statement of Accreditation", Conjoint Board Diploma or Conjoint Board Certificate. The AIR is required to issue Statements of Accreditation for a fee of $200 to all Radiographers who:
- successfully complete Australian Accredited Courses
- are overseas trained Radiographers employed under Favoured Nation/Course arrangements
- are overseas trained Radiographers successfully assessed by the AIR
- Maintains a database of all accredited Radiographers and Radiation Therapists and provides information when requested, to RACs and Registration Boards.
- Has publications which provide Professional updates and expertise in all areas of the Profession
The array of documents produced by the AIR includes the following areas:
- Constitution & By-Laws
- Policies & Guidelines
- The Radiographer - official journal of the Institute, three editions published per annum
- Spectrum Newletter - official newsletter of the Institute, published monthly
- Miscellaneous Brochures & Information Sheets
- Provides regular Seminars, Conferences and ongoing educational programmes which form a vast part of the knowledge imparted to members
- Is involved in the Professional Practice Standards project of which the AIR is the administration arm
- Ensures that Members interests are looked after in more than ten Panels devoted to the many facets of the Profession plus direct representation in a number of other areas devoted to Radiography
The AIR strives for excellence in the services offered and endeavours to represent the membership in all matters pertaining to Medical Imaging, Sonography and Radiation Therapy.